“Thank you very much indeed for your really first class, reassuring advice all given in a very friendly and helpful manner”
Fudia Smartt is a partner at Hine Legal. She joined the firm in 2016, having previously worked in highly regarded employment teams in both a top 100 London firm and a city firm.
Fudia has significant experience in dealing with non-contentious and contentious matters for both employers and employees on topics such as unfair and wrongful dismissal, restrictive covenants, bullying, harassment (including sexual harassment), discrimination, whistleblowing, maternity and other family-friendly matters.
In particular, Fudia has experience in the following:
- Senior executive appointments and terminations (which often include regulatory issues);
- Bringing and defending complex discrimination and whistleblowing claims in the employment tribunals;
- Advising employers and employees (as well as partners) on the enforceability of restrictive covenants and confidentiality agreements, including in relation to team moves;
- Drafting contracts of employment and HR policies for employers;
- Advising companies on restructuring exercises, redundancies (including collective redundancies) and employment issues arising from insolvency;
- Advising on TUPE-related matters including in relation to outsourcing and property transactions;
- Advising both employers and employees on data protection issues;
- Advising companies on day to day operational issues, which includes on how to avoid grievances and disciplinary/dismissal issues;
- Advising business start-ups in a wide range of industries on how to protect and grow their businesses at a reasonable cost;
- Providing HR advice and tailored training to clients and external bodies on all matters arising throughout the employment lifecycle from recruitment to dismissal and beyond;
- Advising members on joining LLPs; and
- Drafting, negotiating and advising on settlement agreements.
Fudia acts for a broad range of clients including SMEs, charities and not-for-profit organisations, start-ups as well as senior executives (including those at C-suite level). She has significant experience in acting for clients in the following sectors:
- Financial services
- Media and advertising
- Real Estate
- Legal and other professional services
Fudia has acted in a number of high profile (as well as commercially sensitive) matters resulting in six-figure settlements for her clients.
She has also acted on matters in the county court, High Courts, Employment Appeal Tribunal (EAT) and Court of Appeal.
In addition to her technical expertise, Fudia is regularly praised by clients for her creative problem-solving skills as well as her ability to provide advice in a friendly and empathetic manner. She is also a sought-after public speaker on employment law matters.
Outside Of Work
Fudia is a qualified MBTI practitioner. She writes about employment law, personality tests and matters such as employee engagement on her blog. She also enjoys playing the piano and hopes to one day finish writing a book!