““Lailaa provides an excellent legal service; speedy, concise and with that essential ability to present her advice to the client in plain English rather than legalese.””
Lailaa completed her training at a City firm and qualified into its employment department as a solicitor in 2009. She joined Hine Legal in 2012.
Lailaa’s approach is to identify the most practical, commercial and cost-effective route to helping her clients achieve their objectives.
Lailaa advises businesses on a broad range of employment issues, including:
- Performance management
- Sickness absence
- Disciplinary and grievance issues
- Redundancy and restructures
- Drafting of employment contracts, service agreements and policies
- Employment tribunal claims including discrimination and unfair dismissal
- Restrictive covenants
- TUPE-related issues
She also advises employees and senior executives on:
- The negotiation of exit packages under settlement agreements
- New employment contracts
- Breaches of restrictive covenants and fiduciary duties
- Maternity discrimination and family issues
- Unfair dismissal
Lailaa works with businesses in all sectors, but particularly in:
- charities and not-for-profit organisations
- Has acted on a number of High Court proceedings for breach of restrictive covenants and confidentiality, including for a recruitment company and for construction companies, one of which led to a successfully obtained search and seizure order.
- Advised directors and shareholders of a start-up company on issues in respect of their former employer’s post-termination restrictions.
- Has acted for a number of senior women who have suffered maternity discrimination whilst on or having returned from maternity leave, ending in favourable settlements. Lailaa is regularly sought after to advise on matters relating to pregnancy-related detriment, sex discrimination, maternity discrimination and other matters pertaining to family-friendly issues.
- Advising a number of not-for-profit organisations on complex restructuring and collective consultation matters.
- Has advised on various discrimination tribunal proceedings (including in respect of disability discrimination, sex discrimination, pregnancy/maternity discrimination, equal pay and part-time working), both for employers and employees all of which concluded successfully.
Lailaa is known for her clear, pragmatic and commercial approach, supportive and reassuring manner and resolute negotiating style.